Tunes: Buy your music here.

Monday, March 21, 2011

That's not a friend!!

 How many of you have shared your goals and or accomplishments with someone whom you thought was a friend?  You  got all excited about that new idea you had or that opportunity that has come your way and you think to yourself.

"Hey  I feel so good, I need to share this news with my people."

You run home get on the phone or meet up with them itching to share your good news or ideas, then just like that bam they have shot you down.

"Oh you shouldn't do that."  "I would never do that." or "That's is too hard."  

A few years ago I was thinking about attending the prestigious Julliard School of music to take piano lessons.  I had planned to enroll in their evening program.  Excited about the news I told a so - called friend my plans.   Before I could complete my sentence he went on to tell how he never liked that school, how it was a waste of time and not really needed to learn how to play piano or get into the music industry.  I never said it was the only option it was just something that caught my interest. Julliard had some classes that I thought would have been cool.   

For a split second I almost let his comments get to me. Then I realized something,  he never attended the school, can't play any instruments, nor has he ever been in the music industry to know exactly what it takes to be successful in it.  

The most interesting thing that struck me was he never gave me an alternative.  He didn't like Julliard but he didn't suggest another school.  That's when it hit me, dude was a hater.  This was someone who claimed he wanted to be a lawyer but never made any attempts to go to law school.  It's one thing to give your opinion and another to just hate on a person.  I realized nothing that came out of his mouth was positive and it wasn't with just me it was with anyone who was pursuing something.   This was a perfect example of misery loving company. My advice to you is be careful who you share your dreams with, some people are not really in your corner.  When the chips are down they love you but when you show signs of greatness that's when the problems start.  Choose your friends wisely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment