Tunes: Buy your music here.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Whitney Houston and Jordin Sparks To Star Sparkle Remake!!


Whitney Houston
 Worldwide superstar, Whitney Houston is in negotiations to star alongside American Idol winner Jordin Sparks, in the remake of the 1976 film Sparkle.  Rounding out the cast will be  Derek Luke, Tika L Sumpter, Carmen Ejogo,  Mike Epps, and  Cee - Lo.  

 New Cast Carmen Ejogo, Jordin Sparks, Tika Sumpter


When I first heard they were remaking this I  thought to myself,  "Please not another remake."

I felt this way because the original has a special place in my heart. Sparkle alongside movies like The Color Purple and The Wiz,  take me back to my childhood. These films were watched so many times in my home.  Sparkle  is story is about three sisters from Harlem's rise from poverty to stardom and the tragedies they face.  Irene Cara starred as Sparkle, Lonette Mckee played her sister, oddly named "Sister" throughout the film.  Mary Alice, Phillip Michael Thomas and Dwan Smith rounded out the cast.   I remember being a little boy in the 80s swooning over these beautiful ladies.   Let's not forget about that awesome soundtrack sung by Aretha Franklin and produced by the late Curtis Mayfield.  My parents wore that record out.  I can still hear my mother blasting  the soundtrack and singing.   "What can I do with this feeling?" 

After learning the new film would be written and directed by  husband and wife team Salim Akil and Mara Brock Akil (creators of the sitcoms, The Game and Girlfriends) with the soundtrack produced by R.Kelly, I begin to have hope.   It's also being reported that Houston who plays the girl's mother will be singing not one but two gospel songs. That should be exciting.  I am glad to hear that Whitney is coming back to the big screen.  I have a good feeling about this film.  For those of you who have not seen the original or heard the soundtrack I suggest you check them out. Both are available in stores and on Itunes etc.  

Original cast members Dwan Smith, Lonette Mckee,  Irene Cara














Dwan Smith, Irene Cara, Lonette Mckee









DVD cover




Sparkle Soundtrack, Aretha Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment