Tunes: Buy your music here.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Her Story: Talk Show Host Mecca James shares her story with Capricorn Groove.

As part of the Your Story series where I profile independent artist etc, I sat down with blog talk show host Mecca James.  Mecca the host of  The Mecca James Show, shared her inspirational story on how she decided to make a way out of no way.  Check out the interview below.


Capricorn Groove:  I would like thank you for sitting down and allowing me to be the first to interview you. What made you want to go into radio?

Mecca:  Well it was my love for journalism period. I remember when I was in junior high school and this is so funny, I used to go to sleep with the radio on listening to the DJs. I was always so fascinated with the DJs and said. “Wow that is something I always wanted to do.”  I just loved it.

CG: Who was the first radio personality or DJ that got you hooked, who was the person that you listened to that made you say "Hey this is what I want to do?”

Mecca: I don't think that it was one particular person. When I was younger I used to listen to 98.7 Kiss FM (R &B station in New York) and was blown away by all the radio personalities.  When  my mother was alive she used to keep the radio tuned into the Jazz stations. They would play people like Sarah Vaughn and The Ink Spots. Those hosts had such soothing voices.

CG:  Let's talk about your journey. Growing up did you think you would make it as a radio personality? I know for me being a singer, I always knew it was something I wanted to do but I was never sure how to reach that goal or obtain it.  I felt like it was too far away and out of reach.  Did you always know you would be doing this or did you think it would be just a fantasy?

Mecca: Well, I think it was half and half because I know I always had the passion but then there's a certain part of your life when you say, “How am I going to make money doing this?”

When you are coming from an environment where people think inside of the box, saying you have to have a 9 to 5 sometimes your thoughts can get a little cloudy.  But it was always in the back of my mind, even while working a regular job. I knew working a 9 to 5 was not for me.   I knew I needed to be in entertainment. I didn't know how I was going to obtain it but it was something I wanted to do.

CG: What was your major in college? Did you major in broadcasting?

Mecca:  I attended SUNY College of Old Westbury and I studied Media and Communications.  I am also very political and when I was in high school I wanted to be a lawyer.  I wanted to be in politics. Then I got into college and I majored in politics. I did one semester and I knew it was not for me.  But I did have some communication classes and realized that was where I needed to be, so I switched majors.

CG: How did you come about getting this show on Blog Talk Radio and when did you make the decision to do the show?

Mecca:  Before the show, I did a lot of networking and freelance work.  I just imagined myself being on radio. I used to call a lot of radio stations and always get through. I got the chance to ask questions to a lot of celebrities.  I would call so much that I became a regular caller on the station.  Due to the fact that I would always call, I thought maybe they would offer me a job. Well it didn't happen that way and that's when my frustration came. I knew I had the potential and people saw the potential.  The passion was there but I was frustrated working a regular 9 to 5.  I had to do something.

CG: So basically you took matters into your own hands?

Mecca: Yes a friend of mine, Mr. Ty Harrell suggested I do Internet radio. I thought about it and I was nervous. I always saw myself on someone else's morning show or being a part of a team and then the fear came in.  I thought to myself, “Well how are you going to get the momentum going, the topics, how are you going to advertise?”

I thought about it and did nothing at first. Then I started a blog just to get my feet wet, so I did Mecca's Point of View on BlogSpot.  I had several ideas, I just sat down and things just came to me.

CG: And now a year later you have been doing the Mecca James Show on Blog Talk Radio. In this short period of time you have managed to snag some impressive guest, such as R &B singer Lil Mo, Radio & TV personality Egypt, and relationship coach and co-star of VH1's What Chilli Wants, Tionna Smalls. I admire that. How did you manage to get those people?

Mecca: I think it was quality over quantity. I think people just saw a movement. If you are a stellar performer people will research you and want to find out more about you.  Maybe they listened to my  shows and saw something in me.  Everybody wants to be with the winning team. People just rocked with me.


Mecca James with radio and TV personality Egypt

CG: Did you go after these people?  Did you reach out to them?

Mecca: Absolutely! I do all my marketing, booking etc.

CG: Your story is very inspiring; here is a woman who had a dream of doing radio when she was in Junior High School. The doors weren't opening for you but you didn’t give up.  You did everything on your own. You created your own path, created a show that expressed your views and you made your own rules.  That's what I like about your story. That’s the very reason I started this blog because I wanted my point of view heard. Tell everyone when your show airs.


Mecca James with singer Ginuwine at a Charity Event in NYC

Mecca:  The Mecca James Show airs live on Tuesday Nights at 8PM on Blog Talk Radio. You can also go to www.blogtalkradio.com/mecca1 and listen anytime.

CG: Will there be any exciting big name guest this year on the show?

Mecca: Well I just had cast member Tami Roman from VH1's Basketball Wives and I am in the process of interviewing  a major R&B singer. I don't want to say who just yet. I also have a website coming out. 2011 is going to be a great year.

CG: Well thank you very much for sharing your story and much success in the future.

Mecca: You are welcome, thanks for having me and supporting my show. This was fun!

2 comments:

  1. good luck and congrats on everything!!!! i see you goin hard stepping it up!! #Embracelife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very proud of you Mecca. Keep going!!

    ReplyDelete